At a Glance
Alamin position: http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=825
Dean Margarita dela Cruz
- Dean of the UP College Tacloban,
- founder of the Guian Development Foundation Inc. (GDFI),
- 2008 Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan Awardee.
- Through GDFI, Prof. de la Cruz helped establish about 20 marine sanctuaries in seven municipalities: Guian, Balangiga, Giporlos, Quinapundan, Salcedo, Mercedes and Lawaan in Eastern Samar.
Sr. Luz Emmanuel Soriano, RA
- Sr. Luz, president of Assumption College
f rom 1980 to 1991, is presently the Treasurer of Assumption Antipolo. She is also the President of the Philippine Council for Peace and Global Education (PCPGE). It was under her leadership that PCPGE adopted an encironmental thrust in response to the critical situation of the environment and in recognition of the crucial role education plays in effecting change. For its efforts, PCPGE received the Likas Yaman Award from the Philippine Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) on June 27, 1991.
- Sr. Luz also spearheaded the “greening” of Assumption schools, particularly Assumption Antipolo. She was primarily responsible for establishing the Center for Peace and Ecology PACEM which maintains an ecology center, a mini-forest, a resouce center, agreen house, a herbal garden, an organic farm and a recycling center. She has conducted seminars, workshops and conferences for students, teachers, administrators, parents, non-governmental organizations and religious groups.
- former president, Tanggol Kalikasan
- environment consultant, Lipa City
- breastfeeding, tobacco control and healthy food and lifestyle advocate
- Dr. Dea, as people call her, is a practicing medical doctor involved in natural medicine and also a full time environmentalist.
- earned the B.S. Biology in the University of the Philippines in 1975 and continued her studies in Lyceum Northwestern-FQDMF College of Medicine (1979-1983) taking up the course Doctor of Medicine.
- Presently, she is a technicalconsultant in Ecological Solid Waste Management and the founder and President of Zero Kalat para sa Kaunlaran Foundation, Inc. (ZKKFI).
- Named one of the Heroes of the Environment by TIME Magazine, 2008
- joined Southeast Asian Fisheries and Development Center (SEAFDEC) in Iloilo in 1975 and subsequently became its first senior scientist
- awarded an honorary doctorate, Stockholm University, 2004
- founder of Philippine Butterfly Habitat Conservation Society and Butterfly Gardening Club
- member, Philippine Bird Watching Club
- ardent butterfly conservationist